Summer Jobs for Teens
Thinking about getting a summer job? Michigan teens may have a better chance at landing a summer job.
Jobs for teens aged 16-19 are very competitive. Approximately 242,800 teens are projected to be in the Michigan workforce this summer. Here are some tips to get started.
Michigan's Department of Technology, Management & Budget (DTMB) offers the following summer job search tips for teens:
· Start looking early
· Keep looking
· Visit local businesses
· Let friends/neighbors know you are looking for work
· Talk with school guidance counselors
· Utilize on-line job boards and newspaper want-ads
· Think about self-employment: lawn service, pet sitting, etc.
In addition, listed below are some key items that may help to make a good first impression with employers:
- Dress appropriately
- Be well groomed
- Be on time to the interview
- Bring information needed to complete an application
- Have a list of a few references
- Maintain a positive attitude