Computer Basics | Consumer and Legal | Health | Retirement Bound | Senior Living | Social Activities | Vitality Kits |
Beginners may want to go through these self-paced learning sites in order:
- New User Tutorial – Learn to use your mouse and more.
- Computer Basics Tutorial – Everything you need to learn about being online, from computer basics to how a computer works, to understanding what the cloud means.
- Interactive Tutorials – These tutorials from Learning Express Library cover computers and the Internet, and are available in the library or at home to Township residents.
- Digital Literacy – Links to basic information on getting started, the Internet, computer safety, social networking – all from the federal government.
- Colorado Virtual Library Tech Help – Start with “The Very Basics” and go from there: answers to all your questions, from how to turn on your computer, to saving and storing photos.
- Software Tutorials (for residents only) – Interactive tutorials on popular software, including Photoshop, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Consumer and Legal
- Identity Theft Protection – The Federal Trade Commission has assembled excellent resources to use if you are a victim of identity theft.
- Keeping Seniors Safe – A comprehensive site for keeping seniors safe in all aspects.
- The Legal Hotline for Seniors – (800) 347-5297 or email: email@example.com
- Senior Brigade– A great website created by the Michigan Attorney General that provides a wide range of helpful information for Michigan seniors, their family members and caregivers.
- Senior Law – This site provides information about Elder Law, Medicare, Medicaid, estate planning, trusts and the rights of the elderly and disabled.
- AAA – Offers Safe Driving Tips for Seniors. Filled with great information for you or your loved one.
- Area Agency on Aging 1-B – This nonprofit agency provides supportive health and home care services for the elderly.
- Benefits Check Up – A tool created by the National Council on the Aging (NCOA), for locating government programs for seniors.
- Flu Shots from the Oakland County Health Division – Call (800) 434-3358 for times and locations. When available, “free” flu shots are administered according to the CDC priority list. Persons age 65 and older are at the top of the list.
- Healthfinder – Your source for reliable health information from the Federal government.
- NIH Senior Health – Health and wellness information for older adults from the National Institutes of Health.
- AnnuityFYI – Retirement basics for seniors.
- CNN/Money Magazine: Guide to Retirement – Worried about running out of cash? Here’s how you can make your nest egg last longer.
- Smart Money: Retirement – It’s your money. Be smart.
- The Wise Stock Buyer – Grow your nestegg! If you like to blog check out this site!
- Social Security Administration – This site answers questions about your Social Security benefits, statements, direct deposit and more. Ask questions and apply for benefits on-line as well.
- A Place for Mom Connecting familes to senior care, A Place for Mom helps you simplify your search, compare costs, and get an insider’s view on assisted living communities.
- Livable and Elder Friendly Communities – Find out about the new trend of “Elder Friendly” communities, and what to look for when searching for a new community. Brought to you by Michigan Office of Services to the Aging.
- Long Term Care – Provides a long term care portal, and a self assessment tool that determines service needs and matches to State of Michigan services.
- Medicare’s Nursing Home Report– Information for comparing facilities and violations noted.
- AARP– The famous organization for the retired American.
- Modern Senior – Provides entertaining and informative content for senior adults, their loved ones, and other professionals interested in the issues that affect baby boomers and our aging population.
- Next Avenue – A major new PBS system website designed to reach America’s booming 50+ population as they plan for and literally define a new life stage.
- Senior.com – Offers news, information, helpful service finders, and communication tools for the modern senior.
- Senior Planet – A tech-themed resource for people over 60 who are living and aging well — with attitude.
- Bloomfield Township Senior Services – If you are looking for a fun place to enjoy lots of activities, consider the Bloomfield Township Senior Center. The Center has a large workout room, swimming pool and lots of groups to join. Call (248) 723-3500 for more information.
- Friends of the Bloomfield Township Public Library – Become active in this group to support BTPL. A very rewarding experience is waiting for you!
- About.com Senior Travel – This is a helpful tool for planning your favorite getaway.
- Road Scholar – Formerly Elderhostel, this is the not-for-profit educational leader since 1975.
- Oakland Talking Book Service @ RHPL – Oakland Talking Book Service @ RHPL offers services for Oakland County residents that are homebound, blind or otherwise impaired. Services include books and audio books mailed to your home. Various types of magnifying glasses and a Book Discussion Group. You can contact them at (248) 858-5050.
- National Library Service for the Blind & Physically Handicapped – A great source for several programs such as BARD.
VITALITY Kits are a new collection of resources focused on senior citizens and the many issues they face as they age. The VITALITY Kit Collection made possible by a generous grant from the Community Foundation of Southeast Michigan.
What’s in the Bag? VITALITY Kits are a collection of books, video DVDs, audio CDs, tools, games and activities focused on improving the quality of life for senior citizens. These kits are available to be checked out for three weeks. Check one out today!
Be sure to fill out one of our evaluation forms after using a kit. These forms will help us make sure our kits are in working order. You may also make suggestions for additional subjects to add to our collection.
VITALITY stands for Visual and Instructive Tools to Advance Living in Transforming Years
Click here for a complete list of our VITALITY KITS.