What is Freegal?
- Free of charge and ad-free Downloadable and Streaming music service for BTPL Library card holders
- Download up to 5 songs or videos per week that you can keep forever and stream 3 hours/day from over 100 genres
- Songs can be downloaded in an MP3 format from a computer using the Freegal Website or from a mobile device using the Freegal App
- Go to btpl.org
- Point your cursor on the Downloads tab
- Click on Freegal under the Music tab and then
- Login with your Library Card Number and Last Name
How to Stream
To search for an album, use the search box at the top of the screen or use the browse button. When you put your cursor over a song or an album, you will see a “stream now” button come up. Press that button and start listening. If you press that button on an album, the whole album will play in order. You can also use “Freegal Playlists”. This is a list of pre-selected songs in a genre that you are sure to enjoy.
To create a playlist:
- Click on “My Playlists” under “Streaming” on the left side.
- Click on “Create and Store Playlists”.
- At the top center, click on the “+” symbol next to “Saved Playlists”.
- Name your playlist (ex. “The King”) and describe it (ex. “Elvis”).
In that box, click on “Create New Playlist” and your playlist is ready to add music.
To add an album, move your cursor over an album cover and a =+ will appear. Click on that, and then add to your chosen playlist option.
To add an individual song, click on the image until you see a play arrow and =+ sign. Pressing the =+ will allow you to add the song to your chosen playlist.
How to Download
Start looking for music to download by clicking on an album cover, using the search box at the top of the screen or using the browse button at the top of the screen.
- To download a song, click on the image until you see a play arrow and a =+ sign.
- Pressing the =+ will allow you to download the song to your computer.
- Click Download Now.
Once it is downloaded on your computer, it can then be transferred to a portable device or a CD.
A download usage counter is located on the top of the web page on your computer or in the upper right corner on your mobile device displaying your weekly allotment. For instance, 5 means that you have a weekly limit of 5 downloads, and if you have used 1 of those downloads, it will say 4.
Freegal mobile apps are currently available in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store for many of the portable devices including Android phone and Tablet, iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
Get the Freegal app for
If you’re using the mobile device, there are tutorials for every page (by clicking the? symbol, upper right hand corner). Not all Android devices are compatible with Freegal. For more information about using the mobile apps and other frequently asked questions, go to
What is Music Online from Alexander Street Press?
With Music Online, Alexander Street Press aims to provide the most comprehensive database in streaming audio, reference, and scores on the web. Music Online allows users to cross-search all of the music databases published by Alexander Street Press. Music Online brings together on a single cross-searchable platform the entire suite of Alexander Street Press music products that the Library subscribes to. Music Online can potentially cross-search any combination of these databases:
- African American Music Reference
- American Song
- Jazz Music Library
- Smithsonian Global Sound for Libraries
At Bloomfield Township Public Library you can search them independently as well. Music Online offers hundreds of thousands of audio recordings, growing monthly, plus 400,000 pages of scores, and 100,000 pages of music reference. Every object in the collection is indexed for subjects, historical events, genres, people, cultural groups, places, time periods, ensembles. As a result, students and scholars can combine keyword and fielded search capabilities to frame creative and highly targeted queries. Users can also select to view a single database by using the dropdown menu at the bottom of the homepage of Music Online.
Using Music Online on a Computer
- Go to www.btpl.org
- Point your cursor on the Downloads tab
- Click on Alexander Street Press on the right-hand most column under the Music Tab and then
- Enter your Library Card Number and Last Name
- You will notice that all of the database access points have the same set up. You can browse by Album, All People, Ensembles, Genres, Historical Events, Instruments or Labels.
- A simple Key Word search in the upper right-hand corner: try Elvis Presley
- A list of Elvis’s items will appear
- On the right hand side of the screen you can Filter Results By: Format, Artist, Composer, Conductor, Ensemble, Genre, Instrument, Label or Sub-genre. Just, click on the + sign.
- Select your favorite album by clicking on the larger arrow next to the selection.
- Individual songs or whole albums may be selected for playing by clicking the smaller arrow next to the title of the song.
- Make sure you have turned off your “pop-up blocker” in your internet browser settings. This will allow the music to stream over your computer.
Playlists and Mobile Devices
- Click on Sign In on the upper right-hand corner
- Select Register, if this is your first time using this feature
- Fill out form and record your username and password for later use
- After you have signed in, and found your favorite items, move your cursor to the end of the line and look for this icon to appear . Click on it and follow the instructions.
- To send this play list to a mobile device click this icon and follow the instructions.
- Once the code has been received on your mobile device listen to your playlist anywhere you are! Be aware that streaming costs may be incurred with our mobile provider