What is Freegal?
- Downloadable music service for Bloomfield Township Public Library card holders
- Download up to 5 songs or videos per week and stream 3 hours/day from over 100 genres that you can keep forever
- Songs can be downloaded in an MP3 format from a computer using the Freegal website or from a mobile device using the Freegal app
- Browse for music, or use the search bar to search for artists, songs or albums
- Find a song to download or add to your wish list
- Click Download Now (the plus sign to the right of the song name)
- At the prompt, select Save File and choose where you want to save the song on your computer (typically Windows Media Player or iTunes)
Once it is downloaded on your computer, it can then be transferred to a portable device or a CD. A download usage counter is located in the upper right corner displaying your weekly allotment. For instance, 1/5 means that you have a weekly limit of 5 downloads, and you have used 1 of those downloads.
- Open iTunes
- Click on Music
- Click and drag the song files from the desktop into the Music folder
The next time you sync your device, the Freegal file will be both on your “home base” computer and your mobile device.
- Connect your device with a USB cable and either sync it or manually drag the songs to the iOS deviceor
Using the Freegal mobile app
- Find our library in the search box by typing the zip code or library name
- Select “Bloomfield Township Public Library”
- Enter your library card number and tap Login
- Browse for music, or search using the magnifying glass icon at the top right
- Blue arrows to the left of song title are used to play song clips or samples
- Download a song by tapping the down white arrow to the right of the song name
- Play the song by clicking on My Music in the menu along the bottom of the screen
- You can also create Playlists to organize your music
- Plug your device to a computer
- Open iTunes
- Select Apps and then Freegal App
- Take the file with the downloaded music and drag it to the Desktop
- Move the music by dragging and dropping individual songs into iTunes
What is Music Online from Alexander Street Press?
With Music Online, Alexander Street Press aims to provide the most comprehensive database in streaming audio, reference, and scores on the web. Music Online allows users to cross-search all of the music databases published by Alexander Street Press. Music Online brings together on a single cross-searchable platform the entire suite of Alexander Street Press music products that the Library subscribes to. Music Online can potentially cross-search any combination of these databases:
- African American Music Reference
- American Song
- Jazz Music Library
- Smithsonian Global Sound for Libraries
At Bloomfield Township Public Library you can search them independently as well. Music Online offers hundreds of thousands of audio recordings, growing monthly, plus 400,000 pages of scores, and 100,000 pages of music reference. Every object in the collection is indexed for subjects, historical events, genres, people, cultural groups, places, time periods, ensembles. As a result, students and scholars can combine keyword and fielded search capabilities to frame creative and highly targeted queries. Users can also select to view a single database by using the dropdown menu at the bottom of the homepage of Music Online.
Using Music Online on a Computer
- Go to www.btpl.org
- Point your cursor on the Downloads tab
- Click on Alexander Street Press on the right-hand most column under the Music Tab and then
- Enter your Library Card Number and Last Name
- You will notice that all of the database access points have the same set up. You can browse by Album, All People, Ensembles, Genres, Historical Events, Instruments or Labels.
- A simple Key Word search in the upper right-hand corner: try Elvis Presley
- A list of Elvis’s items will appear
- On the right hand side of the screen you can Filter Results By: Format, Artist, Composer, Conductor, Ensemble, Genre, Instrument, Label or Sub-genre. Just, click on the + sign.
- Select your favorite album by clicking on the larger arrow next to the selection.
- Individual songs or whole albums may be selected for playing by clicking the smaller arrow next to the title of the song.
- Make sure you have turned off your “pop-up blocker” in your internet browser settings. This will allow the music to stream over your computer.
Playlists and Mobile Devices
- Click on Sign In on the upper right-hand corner
- Select Register, if this is your first time using this feature
- Fill out form and record your username and password for later use
- After you have signed in, and found your favorite items, move your cursor to the end of the line and look for this icon to appear . Click on it and follow the instructions.
- To send this play list to a mobile device click this icon and follow the instructions.
- Once the code has been received on your mobile device listen to your playlist anywhere you are! Be aware that streaming costs may be incurred with our mobile provider