What is Freegal?
- Free of charge and ad-free Downloadable and Streaming music service for BTPL library card holders.
- Download up to 5 songs or videos per week that you can keep forever and stream 3 hours/day from over 100 genres.
- Songs can be downloaded in an MP3 format from a computer using freegalmusic.com or from a mobile device using the Freegal App.
- Go to btpl.org
- Point your cursor on the Downloads tab
- Click on Freegal under the Music tab and then
- Login with you library card number and last name on the top right
How to Stream and Download
To search for an album on the computer, use the search box at the top of the screen or use the browse button. On a mobile device, the search and browse feature are at the bottom. When you select an album, you will see a list of songs and a play arrow on each song (→). You can click on that arrow to start listening. A “Stream” and “Shuffle” button also shows on the top right.
- To download a song to your computer, click on the downward arrow (↓) on the right-hand side. You can also add the song to a “wish list” or “playlist”
- A Download and Streaming usage counter is located at the top upper right corner on your computer displaying your weekly allotment. There are 3 dots next to the log in button for settings and FAQs.
- On a mobile device, three dots appear next to the songs with a menu to stream, download or add to a playlist. It also displays the usage counter.
If you run out of downloads, you can add songs to a wish list and download them later.
To create a playlist:
- Click on “My Music” on the left side and click on “Playlists” at the top
- Click on the + symbol to create a new playlist
- Name your playlist (ex. “The King”) and describe it (ex. “Elvis”) and your playlist is ready to add songs to it.
- You may create a “Streaming” or “Download” playlist and can add songs or a whole album.
You can also use “Freegal Playlists”. This is a list of pre-selected songs in a genre that you are sure to enjoy.
If you’re using the mobile device, there are tutorials for every page (by clicking the ? Symbol, upper right-hand corner). Not all Android devices are compatible with Freegal. Downloaded music tracks will play directly in the Freegal app. For more information about using the mobile apps and other frequently asked questions, go to freegalmusic.com/settings/faq.
What is Music Online from Alexander Street Press?
With Music Online, Alexander Street Press aims to provide the most comprehensive database in streaming audio, reference, and scores on the web. Music Online allows users to cross-search all of the music databases published by Alexander Street Press. Music Online brings together on a single cross-searchable platform the entire suite of Alexander Street Press music products that the Library subscribes to. Music Online can potentially cross-search any combination of these databases:
- African American Music Reference
- American Song
- Jazz Music Library
- Smithsonian Global Sound for Libraries
At Bloomfield Township Public Library you can search them independently as well. Music Online offers hundreds of thousands of audio recordings, growing monthly, plus 400,000 pages of scores, and 100,000 pages of music reference. Every object in the collection is indexed for subjects, historical events, genres, people, cultural groups, places, time periods, ensembles. As a result, students and scholars can combine keyword and fielded search capabilities to frame creative and highly targeted queries. Users can also select to view a single database by using the dropdown menu at the bottom of the homepage of Music Online.
Using Music Online on a Computer
- Go to www.btpl.org
- Point your cursor on the Downloads tab
- Click on Alexander Street Press on the right-hand most column under the Music Tab and then
- Enter your Library Card Number and Last Name
- You will notice that all of the database access points have the same set up. You can browse by Album, All People, Ensembles, Genres, Historical Events, Instruments or Labels.
- A simple Key Word search in the upper right-hand corner: try Elvis Presley
- A list of Elvis’s items will appear
- On the right hand side of the screen you can Filter Results By: Format, Artist, Composer, Conductor, Ensemble, Genre, Instrument, Label or Sub-genre. Just, click on the + sign.
- Select your favorite album by clicking on the larger arrow next to the selection.
- Individual songs or whole albums may be selected for playing by clicking the smaller arrow next to the title of the song.
- Make sure you have turned off your “pop-up blocker” in your internet browser settings. This will allow the music to stream over your computer.
Playlists and Mobile Devices
- Click on Sign In on the upper right-hand corner
- Select Register, if this is your first time using this feature
- Fill out form and record your username and password for later use
- After you have signed in, and found your favorite items, move your cursor to the end of the line and look for this icon to appear . Click on it and follow the instructions.
- To send this play list to a mobile device click this icon and follow the instructions.
- Once the code has been received on your mobile device listen to your playlist anywhere you are! Be aware that streaming costs may be incurred with our mobile provider