How to Apply for a Position
To apply for an open position at the Bloomfield Township Public Library, please complete the Employment Application and send with your resume and cover letter to: Careers, Bloomfield Township Public Library, 1099 Lone Pine Road, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302 or fax (248) 258-2555 or email: email@example.com
How to Volunteer at BTPL
Student or adult community service applicants must be residents of Bloomfield Township. In addition to filling out a volunteer application, an on-site clerical test is required if hours are for school or court. Adults or students over age 16 from any community may volunteer as long as it is not a requirement. There are very few opportunities for students under age 16. Placement is not immediate, and hours are dependent on project and volunteer availability. Applications remain on file for six months. High school volunteers will be notified of upcoming orientation meetings.
Complete the volunteer application form or pick up an application from the Welcome Desk any time the Library is open. Students and court-ordered volunteers also need to take an alphabetizing and Dewey Decimal classification test, available at the Welcome Desk. The Library Volunteer Coordinator will contact you as soon as possible. It may take several weeks to place you in a position depending on the number of hours desired, your availability and the waiting list ahead of you.
Please return all applications to the Welcome Desk when completed. Thank you for thinking of the Bloomfield Township Public Library to donate your time!
Volunteer Job Descriptions
Opportunities are available in many departments:
- Library Shop–assist patrons with purchases
- Facility services–grounds maintenance, window washing, room set-up, dusting, and other janitorial services
- Circulation — checking in returned materials, retrieving items for interlibrary loan, searching for missing items
- Gardening–weeding and deadheading of flower beds
- Adult services–shelving
- Technical services–digitizing past issues of the Birmingham Eccentric
- Friends of the Library–sort and price books on Wednesday mornings and other times as needed
- Administration–typing, filing, copying, shredding
- All of these choices depend on the times that volunteers are available.