Attend a Virtual Event
For Adults and Teens:
- Virtual Teen Club, Tuesday, June 9, 4 p.m. — Play Trivia!
Teens aged 13-18 are invited to join us for our Virtual Teen Club on Zoom. At our June 9 meeting, we’ll be playing several rounds of trivia. Categories include Harry Potter, sports, movies, and gross foods. Registration is required. Email AskAdult@btpl.org for more information. Additional dates: June 23 and July 7.
Tech Open Lab- All Questions Welcome! Wednesday, June 3, 6-7 p.m.
Do you have tech questions? Join our technology staff on Zoom and ask away! Each program will focus on a different theme, but all general tech inquiries are welcome. Topics can include Microsoft Products, Web Applications, Social Media, Email, and how to use your personal digital devices. Register today by sending an email to AskTech@btpl.org.
- June 3: Google Docs & Apps
- June 11: Microsoft Word
- June 18: Video Conferencing with Zoom, Google Hangouts, & Houseparty
- June 24: Microsoft Excel
- Trivia Night for Adults and Teens, Monday, June 15, 7-8 p.m.
Join us as we kick off our summer discovery program with some fun trivia over Zoom. Prizes will be provided. Email AskAdult@btpl.org for more information.
Learn to Code with Grand Circus Detroit, Wednesday, June 17, 6-8 p.m.
Join our partners Grand Circus Detroit for this free remote learning opportunity. In this hands-on class over Zoom, instructors will guide students through working on a code editing website. Basic computer and internet skills are a must. Registration is required.
Adult Services Videos–ON DEMAND
- Audiobook Talk with Brooke, May 19: Audiobook recommendations and new releases available on OverDrive/Libby and hoopla digital.
- Audiobook Talk with Brooke, May 27: New releases from Michael Connelly, Stuart Woods and Nora Roberts plus a review of the new Hunger Games prequel all available on OverDrive/Libby and hoopla digital.
Teen Services Videos–ON DEMAND
- Teen Book Talk with Jamie: Join teen librarian, Jamie, as she recommends some great books available on OverDrive/Libby, hoopla digital, and the TeenBookCloud and gives you the inside scoop on our upcoming summer discovery program.
- Seriously Good Teen Audiobooks with Brooke: Find out about some really great teen audiobooks from Brooke. All titles are available on OverDrive/Libby and hoopla digital.
For Families and Children:
Youth Services Videos–ON DEMAND
Check out these videos from our Youth Services team after nap time, online school, or whenever it is convenient!
- Make a “Tornado in a Bottle” with Charlie
- BookTalk: Realistic Fiction with Ms. Andy: Join Ms. Andy to hear about some favorite realistic fiction reads of the year. All titles available on OverDrive/Libby or Hoopla Digital
- BookTalk: Fantasy Reads with Ms. Andy: Join Ms. Andy as she shares some favorite Fantasy reads for middle grades. All titles available on OverDrive/Libby or Hoopla Digital
- BookTalk with Ms. Liz: Join Ms. Liz as she shares her favorite reads of the year for grades 4 – 6! All titles available on OverDrive/Libby or Hoopla Digital
- Ms. Nicole’s Butterflies and Caterpillars
- Make an Aquarium in a Jar with Charlie
- Virtual Story Time with Amanda
- ePicture Book Recommendations with Ms. Liz
- Slime How-To with Charlie
- Virtual Story Time with Ms. Jen
- Hello and OverDrive Tip from Ms. Killian
- Sing-along with Ms. Liz
- Comforting Message for Kids from Ms. Andy
- Sing-along with Ms. Nicole
Resources for Children and Students
- TumbleBook Library: Children’s eBook database of picture books and read-along chapter books
- BookFlix: Interactive reading experience to explore fiction and non-fiction for grades PreK – 3
- TumbleMath: eBooks about math for grades K – 6
- Scholastic Teachables: Printable educational materials for grades PreK – 6, user ID: schteachables46, password: blue
- PebbleGo: Informational articles, ready-made activities, and literacy for grades K – 3
- Tutor.com: Online homework help with live education professionals
- Read It!: Articles on a variety of subjects that include comprehension supports for middle school – adult ELL and other different learners
All BTPL Youth Databases
Resources for Teens and Adults
- Ancestry.com from Home: Research your genealogy from home for a limited time
- Career Resources: Resumes builders, career research, and vocational testing preparation
- CreativeBug: 1000+ high-quality instructional videos on drawing, painting, sewing, knitting, crochet, quilting, baking and more
- Gale Courses: Sign up for six-week-long classes in a variety of subject areas
- Homework Help: Find resources to help with your assignments and research
- Learning Express Test Prep: Take practice test for the ACT, SAT and more
- Mango Languages: Learn a new language
- Newspapers: Access our online collection of local and national newspapers
- Testing and Education Reference Center: Prepare for tests, research college programs, and find tuition assistance and career advice.
- Tutor.com: Connect with a qualified tutor online every day from 4 p.m.-10 p.
- AudioBookCloud: Online audiobook library collection with unlimited streaming access
- RomanceBookCloud: A curated collection of romance ebooks
- TeenBookCloud: Graphic novels, enhanced novels, ebooks, classic literature, National Geographic videos, educator resources, and audiobooks
All BTPL Adult and Teen Databases
- Detroit Institute of Arts Virtual Field Trip
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra replay concert archive
- Detroit Zoo Virtual Vitamin Z: Educational video lessons, live animal cams, and coloring pages
- Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts: Recordings of symphonies, theater, and more
- Museum from Home: At home activities from New York City cultural organizations
- National Parks virtual tours and exhibits
- NPR’s List of Live Virtual Concerts
Business and Employment Resources
- Michigan Economic Development Center Small Business Resources
- Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency
- Michigan Legal Help
- Pure Michigan Talent Connect
- Southeast Michigan Council of Governments Business Resources
Games and Activities
- AARP Brain Games
- Alzheimer’s Association Virtual & In-Home Activities
- Braingle: brain teasers, trivia, riddles, games, and more
- The New York Times Crossword (free daily mini crossword, puzzles, & more)
- Online Jigsaw Puzzles
Mental Health and Wellness
- Free Live-Stream Workouts During Coronavirus Outbreak
- Headspace: Collection of meditation, sleep, and movement exercises
- Hoopla Fitness Videos
- How teenagers can protect their mental health
- NAMI blog – Coronavirus Coping Strategies
- Sesame Street Monster Meditation