Study rooms are available to Bloomfield Township residents with a valid Library card only.
Study room features:
- Table or counter and seating for one to six persons
- Laptop power – the Library is fully wireless
- Place for volunteer (not paid) tutoring
Please observe the following guidelines:
- Study rooms are available on a first – come, first – serve basis for a two – hour period
- Small study rooms are available for individual use; larger study rooms are for groups of 2 or more
- The Teen group study room is for Teen study only
- Study rooms may not be used for commercial purposes such as paid tutoring, financial counseling, real estate, etc.
- Covered drinks (but not food) are permitted in study rooms
- Maintain the existing number and selection of seating in each room
- Do not leave laptops, purses or personal belongings unattended. Abandoned items will be taken to lost and found. The library is not responsible for any loss.
- Study rooms must be vacated five minutes before the library’s closing
- Keep your voice low
The Bloomfield Township Public Library has these materials and services in place to accommodate library users. Please contact us if you require any additional accommodations.
If you need any assistance during your visit to the Library, please notify any staff member or visit any public service desk.
If you are unable to come to the Library, please contact us:
For People with Visual Impairments
- Signage in Braille.
- Braille Books in the Adult Services and Youth Services rooms.
- Large Print Books in both the Adult Services and Youth Services rooms.
- JAWS screen reading software on all public computers. Some computer stations feature large print and high-contrast keyboards
- Handheld magnifiers for use in the Library available at both the Adult and Youth Services Desks.
- Audio Book Collections on CDs, MP3 CDs. Downloadable eBook and eAudio collections available for eReaders, laptops, tablets, computers and smartphones. Accessibility options on OverDrive for those with visual impairments.
- Optelec Spectrum Magnifying Reader in the Adult Services Area. This device allows a person with low vision to magnify printed and handwritten materials.
- Reading Pens are available for use in the Library as well as for check out as part of our Low Vision VITALITY Kit and in our Youth Special Needs Collection.
- Large print copies of program handouts and other Library flyers and resources are available upon request. An electronic copy of Library presentations via a USB will be made available if needed. Please let us know at least 7 business days in advance of the program should you require these services.
For People with Hearing Impairments
- DVDs films with subtitles and closed captioning.
- PocketTalker Pro portable amplifiers for use on computers in the Youth Room.
- Signed Story Kits with picture books and a DVD of the story signed in American Sign Language. (Youth Special Needs Collection).
- A personal amplification system may be used during Library programs in the Community Room. Please contact Administrative at least five business days before the program to reserve it for your use.
- Sign language interpreters for Library programs will be provided upon request and with ample time to schedule. Please contact Administration at least 14 business days in advance of the program to schedule this service. If you cannot attend the program, please contact us promptly to cancel your request.
For People with Mobility Issues
- Handicapped parking spaces.
- Electronic assisted door openers.
- Handicapped accessible restrooms.
- Wheelchairs, wheeled walkers, child strollers and motorized scooters available for use in the Library.
- Elevator for access to our Lower Level meeting room spaces.
- Sit down computer stations and stations that accommodate wheel chairs.
For People with Neurodiverse Needs
- Library social stories developed with the Autism Alliance of Michigan
available on our website here.
- Sound reduction headphones available in Youth Services.
Additional Assistive Devices and Collections:
- The Youth Special Needs Collection consists of books, story boxes, toys, speech therapy cards, Discovery Skills Kits, and audio visual items designed for children with special needs and their caregivers.
- The Adult Special Needs Collection features fiction, nonfiction materials, guides, DVDs and Braille books.
- VITALITY Kits are a collection of books, dvds, audio cds, games and tools for daily living focused on improving the quality of life for senior citizens, caregivers and their loved ones. Various magnifiers, sound amplifiers, reading pens and other devices are available to patrons to check out in the Adult Services area.
- Capability switches which can operate a switch-optional device with minimal pressure or movement are available for check out.
- The Library offers a Books By Mail Program for patrons who are unable to come to the Library. We will send requested Library materials to your home. Contact the Adult Services Department to sign up.
- An Inclusive Technology Station in Youth Services offers a desktop PC with additional software/downloads and adapted accessories geared to people of all ages with special needs and their caregivers. This station has “active seating” and an iPad with 40 apps geared to youth working on developmental skills.
Library Books by Mail
The Bloomfield Township Public LIbrary has many wonderful features for you to enjoy during your visits.
These features include:
- A Library Shop offering a wide variety of gently used books, movies and music as well as gift selection and supplies such as notecards and flash drives.
- A Library vending cafe for some light refreshments during your visit.
- Outdoor terraces in both the Adult Services area and the Youth Services area.
- Twenty group study rooms and alcoves in the Adults Services, Teens and Youth Services areas.
- Wifi throughout the building and on the outdoor terraces too!
- Four different meeting rooms of various sizes for reservation by Bloomfield Township residents.
- A drive up materials return with an automated hands free return as well as a manual return.
- Chairs of different styles and sizes throughout the building for your personal comfort.
Paper Retriever Recycling
A distinctive green and yellow paper retriever container is available in the last row of parking on the west side of the Library’s parking lot. This is available 24 hours a day, every day, for easy recycling of paper products.