It is summer, the season to read for fun, to go on new adventures, to engage your imagination, discover the world around you. Check out everything your Library has for you this summer including story times, craft kits, trivia, concerts, and more.
SUMMER READING PROGRAM
June 21 – July 31
Read, have fun, and win prizes with the online Oceans of Possibilities reading program for all ages. Earn your first reading badge to win a LOVE MY LIBRARY lawn sign!
Registration opens June 21 and all reading and activities MUST be logged in by July 31, 2022 11:59 p.m. to be eligible for prizes.
PROGRAMS & EVENTS
PROGRAMS & EVENTS FOR ALL AGES
- Summer Reading Kickoff Event
- Tuesday, June 21, 6:30 – 8 p.m.
- All ages are invited for an evening of fun activities and prizes.
- Kids can pick up a treasure map at the Youth Services Desk and follow the map to each “island” around the Youth Room and outside on the Youth Terrace to get a stamp or sticker on your map and pick up crafts, play a game, enter our Star Reader photo booth, and sign up for the online reading program.
- Adults and teens can sign up for the reading challenge at the Adult Services Desk and then test your knowledge in our Walking Track Trivia or participate in a teen scavenger hunt for prizes.
- Matthew Ball aka The Boogie Woogie Kid
- Friday, June 24, 7 p.m.
- Matthew Ball is an internationally recognized expert in the field of blues and boogie-woogie piano playing. No registration required, open for all ages.
- “Shell-A-Bration” of Summer Reading Fun
- Friday, July 29, 2 – 4 p.m.
- Drop-in the Youth Room and outside on the Youth Terrace for music from children’s musician Randy Kaplan, crafts, games, and activities for young readers and listeners of all ages.
- Cirque Amongus
- July 7, 1 p.m.
- See a great outdoor performance by Cirque Amongus where we will explore balance. For ages 5-12 with a grownup.
- Registration begins June 16.
- Interactive Movie: Luca
- July 12, 6:30 p.m.
- Everyone gets a bag of props and treats to be used at certain times throughout the movie. For families, ages, 5+.
- Registration begins June 20.
- Storybook STEM
- July 14, 1 p.m.
- Join us on the Youth Terrace for The Rainbow Fish‘s water STEM activities designed for ages 5-10.
- Registration begins June 20.
- Craft with 3D Art Pens
- June 27, 2 – 4 p.m.
- Create and craft designs using 3D art pens. For ages 13-18.
- Registration begins May 27.
- Teen Advisory Board (TAB)
- July 14, 3 – 5 p.m.
- Make a craft, play games, and discuss books and teen events. All attending teens will receive a TAB tote bag. For ages 13-18.
- Registration is ongoing.
- Teen Summer Read Discussion
- August 10, 4 p.m
- Read A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson then join us for a discussion. For ages 13-18.
- Registration begins July 10.
- Walking Track Trivia
- June 21 – July 31
- Answer trivia questions to win prizes, all while getting your steps in and exploring the the Library. Visit the Adult Services Desk to get started.
- Speed Dating with a Book
- July 15, 7 p.m
- Enjoy an evening of librarians giving pitches of great books in the style of speed dating.
- Registration begins June 15.
- Paint Along with Bob Ross
- July 25, 7 p.m.
- We’ll furnish the supplies that will enable you to create a beautiful ocean along with Bob Ross.
- Registration begins June 25.
YOUTH CRAFT KITS
- Weekly Craft Kits – Available every Monday, starting on June 27, while supplies last. All crafts are suitable for all ages with Adult Supervision.
- June 27 – Hanging Jellyfish
- July 4 – Lighthouse Craft
- July 11 – Shark Week!
- July 18 – Origami Fish Aquarium
- July 25 – CD Fish
TEEN CRAFT KITS
- Mystery Craft
- Available starting June 27
- Take a chance with a fun mystery kit. For ages 13-18.
- Last Chance Craft Kits
- Available starting July 25
- Finish off summer reading with a variety of last-chance craft kits. For ages 13+.
ADULT CRAFT KITS
- Crafting Cephalopods
- Available starting June 21
- Create a simple octopus doll out of colorful yarn or follow along with a video tutorial to crochet a squid.
- The Art of Ice-Dyeing
- Available starting July 5
- We’ll provide the dye and the rubber gloves so get your own t-shirts ready to take on bold new colors.
- Let’s Draw Ocean Creatures with Rick Stromoski
- June 28, 5:30 p.m.
- Learn to draw ocean animals with some character. This will be a fun, interactive, virtual cartooning program! For budding cartoonists, ages 8 – 12.
- Spa Science At-Home
- July 27, 7 p.m.
- We will be mixing up a variety of concoctions designed to delight your senses and relax your mind. Material kits will be provided to registered participants. For ages 8 – 12.
- Registration begins July 6.
All virtual programming – live and recorded – has captioning thanks to the Friends of the Bloomfield Township Library.