It is summer, the season to read for fun, to go on new adventures, to engage your imagination, discover the world around you. Check out everything your library has for you this summer including story times, escape rooms, scavenger hunts, book clubs, and more..
All virtual programming – live and recorded – will have captioning thanks to the Friends of the Bloomfield Township Library.
READING PROGRAM FOR ALL AGES
Register for the online TAILS AND TALES SUMMER READING PROGRAM for all ages. Read, have fun, win prizes. Online registration begins June 21 and runs thru July 31, 2021. Complete your first challenge and get a LOVE MY LIBRARY lawn sign! Log your reading and activities online for a chance to win prizes and participate in virtual programs. All reading and activities MUST be logged in by July 31, 2021 11:59 p.m. to be eligible for prizes.
This year, instead of the traditional summer reading kick-off party, a BIG bag of Tails and Tales will have instructions for readers and pre-readers, from birth – 8th grade, on how to join the summer reading program, receive your free book (thank you Friends of the Library) AND many different projects to make at home. BIG bags are all gone but we will have the animal shape name tags to turn in and summer reading information available thru July 31.
Teens and adults can stop by Adult Services for fun take-away crafts, recommended reading, and other surprises, while supplies last.
We invite you to have your own Incredible Journey this summer.
PROGRAMS & EVENTS
LIVE PROGRAMS….AT YOUR OWN PACE
- Scavenger Hunts
Explore the Library, and our community with self-guided scavenger hunts. The first of our hunts began at Bowers Farm, with a scavenger hunt through the Library next and one more at Cranbrook (Now available!). Great for families of all ages and you can work at your own pace. Complete the hunt and you will be eligible for our prize drawings.
- Animal Yoga
Stretch your mind AND your body this summer. Follow signs throughout the Youth room and terrace to practice a variety of animal yoga poses, in honor of our Tails & Tales summer reading program. Poses will change each week.
LIVE INTERACTIVE VIRTUAL EVENTS*
Note: Some live events may be dependent on the library building being open.
- Live Virtual Family Story times with our librarians!
10:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 30; Thursday, July 15; Tuesday, July 27. Register for each story time separately.
- Virtual Pet Show and Tell Do you have a fabulous pet that you would love to share with others? Whether it is furry, feathery, scaly or otherwise, your pet or stuffie is welcome at the Virtual Pet Show and Tell. Join Ms. Patricia, Andy and Nicole for a story about pets, and introduction to their furry friends and then an awesome Q & A session with you and other friends about your pets! See you there! Thursday, July 1, 11:00am. For ages 5 – 12. Registration begins June 10.
- Virtual Cartooning Workshop with award winning cartoonist and illustrator Rick Stromoski, Wednesday, July 7, 11:00am. For ages 8-12. Registration begins June 16. Supplies will be provided for registrants.
- Virtual Paint-a-long Follow along and create your own work of art. No experience is needed. Most supplies will be provided to registrants. Tuesday, July 20, 2:00pm. For ages 8-13. Registration begins June 29.
ONGOING VIRTUAL FUN
- Pets on Parade We love pets and know that you do too! Send a picture of your pet or stuffed animal, along with its name to email@example.com or drop it off at the youth desk. The bulletin board will be filled with our furry, scaly, gilled, shelled, feathered friends throughout the summer. One picture per pet please. Sorry, pictures cannot be returned.
- Incredible Journey: Escape the Wild Join your library community in participating in this online, virtual escape room built for individuals 8 years and older, families, or friend groups! Three domestic animals are out in the wild and need to find their way back home! Along the way these three will run across friends, foes, others needing help, and mother nature. Each correct answer brings them closer to home and safety. Your Incredible Journey can start any time during our summer reading program – Monday, June 21st – Saturday, July 31st. Upon successful completion, enter our Incredible Journey Lottery where we will pick one person/group to win a game set so you can keep the fun going! Get started today!
- Tails and Tales Summer Reading Program All ages are encouraged to join the online summer reading program. Meet challenges, have the opportunity to win prizes…all at your own pace. No pressure, just FUN!
VIRTUAL PROGRAMS ON DEMAND
In addition to live programs, check out the On-demand video story times, foodies, experiments, book talks, book bits, and more…to enjoy any time. Check out our Youth Services channel.
Adults and teens will find book talks, crafts, database demonstrations and more on our Adult Services channel.
Adult Craft Kits
Pick up these craft kits beginning June 21, while supplies last.
- DIY Bookmark: Keep your place in a story with this cute tasseled bookmark! Cover a sturdy piece of cardstock with colorful craft paper and add a charming “tail” to hang from the pages of your book.
- Animal Origami: Get ready to fold some cats and dogs! Make some paper pets in different colors, shapes, and sizes.
- Reading Journal/Summer Reading Log: Keep track of your finished titles with this simple DIY paper project. Create a journal with a built-in bookmark so you can record the adventures books take you on this summer!
Teen Craft Kits
Looking for a fun craft project? Every Thursday during summer reading we will have teen craft kits available for Bloomfield Township teen residents. No registration required. Available while supplies last. Visit Adult Services to obtain your kit or call 248-642-5800 ext. 171 to arrange for curbside pickup.
- June 24: Washi tape Suncatcher
- July 1: Plant a succulent!
- July 8: Friendship bracelets
- July 15: Harry Potter ties
- July 22: Kaleidoscope Dreamcatchers
- July 29: Origami kits
Youth Craft Kits
- Paper Circuit Card kits (for ages 10 & up)
**More kits for youth of all ages will be available throughout the summer, while supplies last. Stay tuned!
- MI Library Quest – Animal Adventure Safara, June 1 – July 31
Explore Michigan library websites to find the descriptions of unique, weird or even endangered animals. Go to our Field Guide to look up your animals and add them to your personal digital field journal. The adventure begins on June 1st! Upon successful completion of the Safari, residents will be entered into a drawing for a $50 egift card to the Detroit Zoo. Get started today!
- Virtual Teen Club Meeting: Game Day! Wednesday, July 14th, 4:00 p.m.
All teens are welcome to attend our online Zoom meetings. We will discuss books, arts & crafts, play games & more. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. We look forward to seeing you there! Email email@example.com to sign up.
- Teen Summer Read: Where the Road Leads Us by Robin Reul
Read the teen summer read selection Where the Road Leads Us by Robin Reul and score double on your reading log. Your entry will count twice: once as an activity badge, once as logged book! Check it out on hoopla.
- Virtual Dungeons & Dragons: The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces
Day 1: Monday, July 26, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Day 2: Thursday, July 29, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Join us to play an online game of Dungeons & Dragons: The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces. A scholar has gone missing; it is believed that he may literally have become lost within a book in the city-sized library called Candlekeep.
Registration is required and begins Monday, June 21. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Registrants will be required to: 1) commit to both days of play to complete game, 2) have a Discord account, 3) be able access to Google digital slides, & 4) have a character. (Pre-made characters will be supplied after registration.)
Game is limited to 8 participants. Beginners are welcome.